Saturday, July 18, 2009

Rental Review - Religulous

As soon as I finished this movie I got into a lightweight debate with my mom, and it went a little something like this:

Sister: So did you like the movie?
Mom: It was okay. I don’t really like him though. And I don’t think that it was appropriate to go around making fun of other peoples’ beliefs.
Me: Yeah, but that’s the point of comedy. In order to make people willing to talk about something that they will be uncomfortable talking about, make it comedic. And I actually agreed with a lot of what he was saying.
Mom: You did?
Me: Well, yeah. If you think about it most of what is in the different religions is really ridiculous. And that’s all he was trying to point out. He wasn’t trying to say that believing in something is stupid, but you just need to be aware of what it is you are believing in.

Yada yada yada… I don’t think my mom and I are going to be agreeing on this topic. But this movie did exactly what it should do. Okay, so Bill Maher’s goal was to make people doubt. And though I don’t necessarily believe this should be his goal, I do think that it is important to cause people to question what they believe, especially considering more often than not it wasn’t a choice they made. People should understand what it is that they believe, and choose to do so.

Final Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment