Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Gaming Review - Prince of Persia

Unfortunately after June I haven't had the time to knock out any video games this summer, but if you are looking for a game to kill some time, here are some ideas, starting with Prince of Persia (originally written Dec. 28, 2008):


This game is a beauty. Though I can say that I was one of those people who was slightly aggravated by the necessity to find a certain number of light seeds before moving on to a new area, it is worth the time in the end because it gives the player the time to appreciate the world that these characters are tying to save. Though the design is the best part by far, the game is further filled out by the characters, banter, and story line.

While moving around the world, one of the best things is how the game incorporates the feeling that these two characters really need each other to get around, such as when the prince carries her on his back through the vine covered areas, or in the jumps that span a distance too large for just one man. But the idea of having two people taking up space was even put in to the smaller details, which I really appreciated, like when they need to change places on a wall or beam.

But that is not to say that this is a game without flaws. For starters, the combat was not all that great. It took me forever to figure out ways to actually get a sword hit in without automatically going into a "deflect moment," which half of the time ended with the prince holding his side, cursing my inability to press buttons at the right time. But these moments weren't even the worst button pressing moments. Though I enjoyed the cinematic elements of the fights, most of the time if I didn't press the button needed within half a second I ended up sprawled on the floor, praying that the villain wouldn't get half of his life back. Another thing that did not get its moment in the spotlight when it came to combat was the prince's gauntlet, I learned pretty early on that the gauntlet had too big of a risk factor, so instead I busied myself just trying to hit someone with my sword. And finally, I don't know if it was just me or what, but the main villain fights were a lot easier than the randomly placed battles throughout the level. Whenever I saw the column of black corruption reaching towards the sky, I used all my might to will my character faster and faster so that I could just knock out the guy with one swoop of my sword and just forgo the battle all together.

But enough about the combat, another iffy aspect were the plates. Whenever I saw a red or blue plate coming up I was relieved that I didn't have to try "flying" around with yellow or crawling with the green. The flying was just irritating, and half of the time character control wasn't even necessary because there was nothing to dodge. Now flip that comment and apply it to the green plates. I will admit i was excited at first when I got to climb around on the walls, however, when I got to one of the towers that had a string of 10 plates or so, I wanted to shoot someone. Not only was it ridiculous that if you messed up at any point in this train of chaos you were shot back to the beginning, but when it happens about 15 times in a row, its downright uncalled for.

And finally, my last complaint was that at times my characters had minds of their own. I would swear that I was aiming to jump in one direction, but it turns out that I was nowhere near my target and ended up flying off into the abyss. Though I was relieved that Elika was there to help, I wish that I hadn't needed her as much as I did. I decided incredibly early on that there was no way that I would get the achievement for needed her help under 100 times throughout the entire game.

With all that said, in the end this is still a really great game. I just hope that the combat is fixed before the next game, which I am assuming/hoping will be in the works some day soon.

Final Grade: 8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment