Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Gaming Review - Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

(Originally written Jan. 21, 2009)

After playing a game like Metal Gear Solid 4 I was ready for some simple fun, and Ratchet and Clank was the perfect game to turn to.

The most notable thing about it is the range of colors painted across each environment, keeping each planet just as visually stunning as the last, while setting them apart at the same time. And though this is one of the best things about the game, another thing that I am glad to see has stuck with this series over time is the humorous dialog found in the cutscenes.

However, this is not to say that this game is without flaws. Though the dialog does a lot to divert attention, a major problem is that the story is severely underdeveloped. One example is that though I understand the overriding story pushing the action along, looking back I can’t say with 100% certainty what the intentions of the little aliens were, making the cliffhanger ending all the more ridiculous and unexpected. Furthermore, most of the time I was also unsure of the reasons behind why I was bouncing around planet after planet fighting off hoards of enemies. To make matters worse, the checkpoint system was rather frustrating. Numerous times I found myself berating my TV after being bumped back to the beginning of the level due to a stupid mistake like falling off a cliff, a cliff that was about 10 minutes into the level no less. And finally, the difficulty of the enemies seemed very uneven. One major example of this is that after repeatedly being killed by the dematerializing creatures leading up to the final boss battle, the actual battle itself was a piece of cake in comparison.

Though I may have a few things to complain about, when all is said and done most of what I found frustrating while playing can be forgiven because of how fun the game is, even with all its flaws.

Final Grade: 7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment