Monday, August 24, 2009

Now Playing Review - Post Grad

For all the romantic comedy highs and lows this summer has seen, Post Grad represents a lower point than I expected to reach.

Sadly, for the viewing public, it is rare to see a romantic comedy that defies what is expected of it. Instead, most romcoms fit the description of being riddled with this genre’s clichés. Post Grad is no exception to this unfortunate rule, but furthermore, is actually one of the worst examples I have seen. Nothing about the story is original, and I spent most of the film thinking things like: “Oh, that was just like that one scene in (insert title here), and that was just like (insert other film name).” It didn't even try to mask this. And if I was not making comparisons to other films, I was correctly guessing what was going to happen next; which I wish I could say braggingly, but there really is no challenge.

But let’s get back to basics. Post Grad tells the story of a recent college grad (Alexis Bledel), who is forced to move back in with her ridiculous family when she is unable to find a job in the current market. Sticking with her along the way is her best friend (Zach Gilford), who makes no attempt to hide his more than platonic love for her. Unfortunately, this attempted commentary on the current economic strain and its effects on the job market is the closest thing to inspired story telling. What is left is completely unnecessary “MALBY!” family bonding over buying grandma Malby’s coffin, daddy Malby’s belt buckle investment endeavors, a dead cat, etc, all of which is carried out by an ensemble of uninspired acting; which was complimented by uninspired, and more often than not, over-the-top comedy.

I know I have used the word “uninspired” a lot in this review, but what can I say? Post Grad is nothing but an uninspired compilation of almost every cliché from the romantic comedy genre, so I don’t really feel the need to put more work into this than the filmmakers did.

Final Grade: D

No comments:

Post a Comment